Job Title: Head Brewer
Company: Paperback Brewing Company
Location: Glendale, CA
Industry Sectors: Craft Beer - Brewing/Brewery Jobs
Opening this November in Glendale, CA, Paperback Brewing will be a 6,000 sq. ft brewery operation with a 148-person tasting room. The beautifully restored 1940s airplane hangar (quonset hut) will feature a 15-BBL Premier Stainless brewhouse with six 30-BBL fermenters and two 60-BBL fermenters.
We are seeking a brewmaster revolutionary to help embark on a journey in starting Paperback Brewing Company in Los Angeles – someone who understands and breathes the spirit, mystery and magic of craft brewing. This is the ideal opportunity for someone to join our team from the very beginning to help define and create a legacy of remarkable craft beers for the masses. We are looking for a true collaborator who has a knack for innovation, can bring fresh ideas and help push the boundaries of independent brewing. Sense of humor and a love for doing cool shit a must. Tenacious spirit and work ethic a double must!
If you think you have what it takes, we welcome you to get in touch. The team at Paperback will be conducting interviews starting in August.
- Competently operate brewhouse equipment to process brews according to SOPs, including, but not limited to the items below:
- Brewhouse operations: Milling, Mashing, Lautering, Boiling, Whirlpooling, Knockout, Grains out(with yeast), Brewhouse Vessel CIP (incl Heat Exchanger and Hot Liquor Heat Exchanger)
- Cellar-Related operations: Fermenter CIP/Scrub/Sanitation, Cell Counting, Checking
- Gravities/Monitoring fermentation(Incl. Glycol Controls), Capping/ Chilling/ Dryhopping schedule and procedures, Yeast Disposal(Grains out), BBT Cleaning and Sanitizing, Recording fermentations, Reading BBT levels and recording, Checking DO and Co2 in beer
- Packaging operations: Carbonation of beer, Filtering, Cleaning firkins and Casking beer into firkins, Checking CO2 in beer
- Quality Assurance Operations: Cell Counts, Pitch Rates, Gravity Measurements, DO
- Measurements, Process Sampling, Yeast Viability Measurement, Taste Pane
- Other: Effluent processing as it relates to the above operations, Cleaning and organizing standards, Daily Record of Activities accurately and legibly recorded.
- Insure a high level of personnel safety; Responsible for maintaining a safe work environment and other duties regarding safety (reporting hazards, accident reporting process, etc.)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk: climb; use hands to finger, handle, or feel: reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, and hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move more than 50 pounds. Specific abilities in this job include close, distance, color, and peripheral vision, as well as depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to a damp environment with hot liquids, airborne particles, chemicals and moving machinery. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud.
The skill to quickly assess the status of operations and troubleshoot processes is strongly desired. Understanding of barley selection, the malting process and hop farm operations is strongly desired
- An eye for the big picture and how the details support it.
- Contribute to and be a part of the brewery’s long term strategic planning process
- Work with sales team to ensure that we can supply accounts needs
- Innovation – display original thinking and creativity; meet challenges with resourcefulness; generate suggestions for improving work; develop innovative approaches and ideas; present ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention
- Must have a great attitude and passion for beer!
- Five to Ten years of experience in a production brewery environment
- Three to Five years of experience in a leadership/managerial role
- Prior lead brewer experience is preferred
- A Bachelor’s degree in a technical field, e.g., engineering, food/fermentation science, chemistry, microbiology is preferred; A degree from an accredited Brewing Science program is strongly desired
- Strong mechanical and problem-solving aptitude.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to work unsupervised and manage your own time effectively.
- Highly proficient in understanding all aspects of beer production, i.e., raw materials, brew house operations, fermenting of ales and lagers, yeast metabolism/performance, filtration/finishing, scaling recipes, packaging, overall sterile practices, brewery wide sanitation, and brewery layout, equipment design and technical operation details
- Additionally, the candidate must be proficient in understanding other brewing support functions, e.g., GMPs, CIP/sterilization operations, water chemistry and processing, brewery microbiology, QA checks, sensory science, packaging operations, etc.
- In depth passion in the art of fermentation is a must
- A demonstrated ability to multitask and strong attention to detail is essential
- A strong understanding of historical beer styles, their flavor profiles and a proven ability of how to create them.
- Ability and experience with communicating and negotiating with vendors and other third party suppliers and partners is preferred
- Experience operating and managing an semi-automated 15 BBL or larger Premiere Stainless brew system or industry equivalent.
- Technical and practical knowledge of all aspects of brewery operations, including but not limited to: Business acumen for strategic forecasting, scheduling, budgeting and efficiency metrics; Inventory and supply chain management, including materials ordering and logistics; Yeast management, fermentation theory/practice;
- All aspects of analysis, bitterness, color and alcohol percentage assays;
- Equipment, cellaring, cleaning and maintenance best practices, SOP development and enforcement; Working knowledge of safety and legal compliance requirements and enforcement;
- Vetting, hiring, training and management of a complete brewhouse staff.
You must have a valid Driver's License free of any major violations in the last 5 years
The selected candidate will be required to pass a post offer, pre-employment background check You must be at least 21 years of age to work for Paperback Brewing Company.
Submit your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com